Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bonus Walk - A Nosh Between Two Bridges...(Fourth Leg)

As I said previously, DUMBO really is a part of Brooklyn I had never visited (which is what "the walk" was all about...discovering new places I'd either not seen at all or whizzed by in the car).  We continued our stroll in Empire Fulton Ferry Landing Park, past some dynamite waterfront scenery (and thank you, Michelle "Brooklyn" Smith, for letting me know that we were now, indeed, following the East River), but prospects were looking dim that we'd find nourishment there.

Our collective stomach won out, so we left the actual riverside to get closer to the buildings that were visible on the other side of the street from the park.   We also were getting much closer to the Manhattan Bridge.  I found my camera wandering more and more over to the east to photograph it...
So, here we are, wandering down the few streets of DUMBO, lined with renovated office and warehouse buildings that are mostly residental and art galleries.  Oh...here is St. Ann's Warehouse, a music venue and performance space, where many "new music" groups (whose names and music I do not know) are now playing.  It's a sad commentary on my advancing age that I haven't been there to hear any music (back in the day, I used to get to whatever music venues were "hot" and happening).  Of course, back in my day, all the venues were in Manhattan.  Now music is being played all over the place...Washington Heights, Queens and all over Brooklyn.  God, I'm sounding like an old fogey!
But, still a hungry old fogey!   NG, in her typical Sacagewa fashion, spies large corner windows that hold the promise of a restaurant inside.  Yes!   It's a branch of Bubby's, the eponymous breakfast and brunch restaurant in Tribeca.  And, it's in what looks like a restored warehouse building, with tin ceilings and atmosphere to spare...and a great table in front of the big picture windows, with a view of the aforementioned park and a large part of the Manhattan Bridge!  
We quickly settled in and had quite a lovely repaste.  But, all too soon, it was time to take up the quest and find the right path over the Manhattan Bridge.

No comments:

Site Meter